For a business who has a website – it is essential that you already practice each of the steps below and if you don’t – you should!
20 SEO tips:
- Google considers the first lines of the page important. Put menu, headers and important text on top of the page
- Check your Website’s rankings & compare them with your competitors
- When building a navigation menu, use descriptive anchor texts.
- Optimize the link structure of your website with a Link Structure tool
- Pages blocked in robots.txt continue receiving PageRank when they have links
- Using a coming soon page with description is better than having an empty or unreachable page
- Use alt and title tags for all the images.
- Examine Google Analytics reports frequently. Check the conversion and bounce rate and analyze traffic sources
- If possible select domain names that contain 1 important keyword of the site
- Have direct links from homepage to all the important pages of the site
- Analyze the keywords of your Article & improve your title relevance
- Avoid changing the name of the page. In this way you lose links and Page Rank
- Get extra links to your site by submitting interesting Articles, blog and forum posts with your site’s url
- Always check the strength of your competitors on Search Results during Keyword Research
- Use ‘-’ instead of ‘_ ‘as a keyword separator in URLS.
- Description should be short and clear description on the top and at the beginning of your website informing your website content and your business offer in brief. Don’t forget to emphasize your main keyword here
- Update your site’s content regularly – blogs and “latest news” sections are good for this. Fresh content can help improve your rankings. Add new, useful content to your pages on a regular basis. Content freshness adds relevancy to your site in the eyes of the search engines.
- Use CSS and <divs> instead of tables as this helps you lower the size of the page and so it loads faster.
- Content is king, so be sure to have good, well-written and unique content that will focus on your primary keyword or keyword phrase.
- Don’t design your web site without considering SEO. Make sure your web designer understands your expectations for organic SEO. Doing a retrofit on your shiny new Flash-based site after it is built won’t cut it. Spiders can crawl text, not Flash or images.
If you would like some assistance with the SEO of your website or just getting to grips with the idea of SEO, feel free to tweet me and I would be delighted to help.
My twitter account: https://twitter.com/#!/aoiferigney