Digital marketing is a necessary element of running a business. If you are to promote successfully with no budget, you need to use word of mouth. You need to foster an environment where people are talking about you.
Whilst many people think that effective marketing campaigns are costly, the reality is that they don’t have to be. This is because there are many FREE techniques that can be used, which are proven to work. The main idea of this blog is to help you to discover and use the other tools at your disposal which will enable you to market without cost.
Before you start, it is critical to understand who you are targeting and what’s in it for them. This will be your main message in your marketing campaign.
Here are a few ways to market your business online without spending a cent:
1. Create Objectives: In order for any plan to be successful, it needs goals. What do you want from this marketing campaign? Why are you partaking it promotion? Do you want to develop brand awareness? Do you want increased online and offline traffic?
2. Do a Stocktake: Make a list of all the tools you already possess which can be used to market your business without spending any money. Do you have a good network of contacts? Are customer testimonials positive? Do you have the enthusiasm and passion to grow your business. Do you have the time to invest? These are some of the best tools needed for marketing.
3. Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) : SEO is the technique of structuring your web presence for search engines to rank them at the top of their lists for certain search terms.Begin by ensuring you know what people are searching for and how they are searching for you. These are the basics and can be ascertained through Google Analytics and Google Ad Words, both of which are free tools with lots of online resources explaining how to use them. Once you have informed yourself in these ways, start providing content related to what they are searching for and including these keywords. Update your site often because search engines are looking for the newest information.
4. Good website design and content: Like most small businesses, you probably have customers and prospects that have visited your website once and haven’t been back since. And why would they? Once they find the info they need, there is no reason to come back, unless you can add interesting, relevant content to your website to drive traffic to your website and increase sales.
5. Blog! Blog! Blog!: Search engines like fresh content. It is advisable to keep your company’s keywords in mind and try to incorporate them in your blog content as often as is practical. Furthermore, a blog allows you to express your unique voice, personality and thought leadership. It improves your SEO, drives traffic to your site and builds a base of content for your email marketing campaigns. Dedicate some time every week to writing content, get into the habit of writing and soon blogging will become second nature.
6. Be Social: Join the main social media networks that suit your business such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and Pinterest. Use social media to build relationships and connect. All too often businesses think that having thousands of followers makes them a success. But what good are those ten thousand followers if none of them end up as a customer? Isn’t that the whole point of being on social media? Get to know people, talk and then once they trust your brand they will want your product.
7. Measure, Monitor and Manage: As you build your online marketing plan you need to be sure that each element produces the results you aiming for. Use Google Analytics to measure and monitor your website. Try out applications like Hootsuite and Tweetdeck for Social Media Management.