Are you using social media for your business? If so, you really need to consider setting up a Facebook Page. Facebook says that “Pages are for businesses, organizations and brands to share their stories and connect with people. Like timelines, you can customize Pages by adding apps, posting stories, hosting events and more. Engage and grow your audience by posting regularly. People who like your Page will get updates in their news feeds.” A personal profile on Facebook has a limit of 5,000 friends and many requested a larger “fan” option, and so the “Fan Page” was created.
Regardless of what type of business you have, if you are using Facebook you MUST have a fan page. Too many businesses are using personal profiles – this can cause multiple problems, as well as running the risk of the profile being closed down!
So, why use a Facebook Page?
- Branding: Fan pages allow you to brand your business, use your logo and customize your cover photo, tabs and content just as you would with a website. With this extremely valuable tool available to you, you can keep your “brand” consistent across the board as it relates to all aspects of your online presence.
- Personal Facebook: Using a Facebook Page for your business allows you to promote your business while having a personal profile to keep in touch with family and friends in private.
- Unlimited Fans: Your personal profile page has a limit of 5000 friends which is imposed by Facebook. While most of us do not have 5000 personal friends, if you are using a facebook profile for your business contacts or prospects, this number can be turn out to be very limiting. A fan page, on the other hand, will allow you to have an unlimited number of “fans”. Some have thousands and even millions of fans, just like the Coca Cola Facebook Page who have 56 million and local Cork newspaper the Cork Independent Facebook Page with over 20,000 fans.
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO): Facebook Fan pages are indexed by Google, which means that anything you post on your fan page can be found by anyone doing a Google search. Content from your personal profile page does not have this same benefit. Exposure to your business or service will be expanded because your social media content will now be found by anyone (not just a Facebook user) who searches via Google. Additionally, Facebook is the 2nd most trafficked site; second only to Google in fact. Any links from your fan page to your website will increase your chances of achieving higher rankings within Google.
- Unlimited Access: Your fan page is totally open to anyone who stumbles across it. If someone is searching for something through Google and your fan page pops up, that person can view the entire fan page without “liking”. Obviously, it is your hope that they will “like” the page. Often businesses use 3rd party applications to give exclusive content to fans only and so this increases the chance of people “liking” the page.
- Build brand advocates: Your Facebook fan page permits you to have a more personal communication with your fans than you can have through your website. This is why a Facebook fan page is so valuable. You can share content, videos, photos, run contests, ask questions, etc. This interaction will build relationships with your target market (fans) and builds the relationships. This “fans” quickly become your brand advocates. Encouraging interaction and building a sense of community will ensure that they keep coming back.
- Customer Service: The post-sales experience brings retention possibilities as well as a chance to acquire new customers. It is critical to keep current customers happy and show potential customers how much you care about your customers. Facebook gives your business a channel to achieve this. Customer service is key to the success of any business using social media or not!