If you decide you need someone with expertise working on your social media and digital marketing then the expert should learn how your company works, then create a strategy to spread social throughout your organisation. Here are 5 things I believe businesses need to know, but most experts don’t generally tell!
- “Followers” and “likes” figures don’t matter: Small businesses often obsess over how many followers they have on twitter, and likes on facebook. Rather, SMEs should be building up relationships with online influencers i.e. trusted insiders who have engaged followers (such as bloggers, local celebrities, industry experts or active tweeters), who can help spread your message and be your brand advocates.
- Facebook and Twitter are only a start: Your social media expert should know which platforms are best for your businesses. For example, if you are a fashion designer and your consultant isn’t talking about collage platform Polyvore, they’re doing something wrong. Or if you are an accountant and they haven’t mentioned LinkedIn, then start asking questions!
- Let’s look at statistics, insights, analytics and data: Your social media expert should interpret data and the insights that social network platforms provide. They should also identify the best social measurement, management, and listening tools for your company’s needs, and train you how to use them, so you know what to do when they are gone!
- Your website should be social: Don’t just rely on facebook and twitter. Your social media expert should optimise your website for sharing and data collection.
- “I’m not a social media guru.” If someone is declaring that they know everything about social media, they are an expert or a guru – chances are they’re not. Do some research, ask around, get recommendations and ask questions!
Don’t get me wrong – social media consultants and experts can bring huge value, knowledge and expertise to your business and your online marketing efforts. Be sure to ask questions, be proactive and get involved! Social media can really boost your business and brand – do you agree?
(Image Source: http://bit.ly/S6xJCU)