5 Reasons Why People Unlike a Page on Facebook

Firstly, if someone does unlike your page – don’t panic. Don’t beat yourself up about it. However, it is important to do a quick check and make sure you’re not doing things that could be causing people to turn away from your page! Here are 5 reasons why people might “unlike” your page:

1. Constant Self Promotion and Sales

Posting “sales” posts does not work. This sales promotion type of marketing is referred to as “push” marketing and it no longer works! You’ve probably seen pages that do this. Every single post is a marketing pitch to sign up for their webinar, or buy their product. Even if those webinar & products are great, no one wants to get sold to over & over again, day after day. You now want the customer looking for information and asking questions.In Pull Marketing, you’re still generating leads — but you’re doing it in a generous, informative way. This is essentially “pull” marketing. That’s why I suggest the 80/20 rule: 80% of your posts should be informative updates, blog posts, links, tips, podcast etc. The remaining 20% should be a mixture of promotional posts and sharing other people’s content.

2. Too much activity

How often do you post updates? Is it more than 3 times a day? Is it only once a week? I can’t tell you specifically how often to post, but I can tell you to test out different times and see what works best i.e. what gets the best reaction. Personally, at the VERY least you should be posting to your page once a week. Every page is unique and should decide what’s best for their particular audience.

3.  Irregular/Lack of activity

I know I just said that posting too much will put people off your page, however not posting enough can also cause people to unlike your page. Why? People don’t like to have redundant pages on their Facebook page! If your business is serious about social media then create a posting plan with content ideas which will means you update your page daily. In my opinion (whatever that’s worth!!) I believe pages should be posting at least once a day.

4. Facebook Voice of an Eejit (Eejit: Irish word for jerk)

Think your humour and attitude is funny? Do you constantly give out and vent problems on your page? Are you arrogant or rude when interacting with fans? Great that you are an expert in your industry however that does not excuse the attitude! Perhaps you just get enjoyment out of constantly “calling out” competitors or other businesses who make mistakes, it’s a very negative reflection on your business and your brand. Be careful how you portray your brand, insure your voice is that of the brand and of the message you wish to portray.

5. Unrelated updates and posts

Memes are very popular these days on Facebook. However, sharing memes which have no relevancy whatsoever to your brand will just annoy people. Yes, photos do get a great reaction on Facebook and memes are even better these days however are you willing to dilute your brand message for a few extra likes, comments and shares? This is true for unrelated topics too, not just memes! Now, trust me.. I understand what you are trying to do; engage your fans with humour and show off your personality. Eventually, your fans will think you don’t take your business seriously and will unlike your page.

Have you ever unliked a page? Why? 

Written by

Aoife Rigney is a digital marketing and social media strategist, advisor, trainer and event speaker. Aoife loves her work – it’s her passion! From training one to one or a large group, advising a business on their digital strategy or speaking to a room of people – she simply loves it!

One Comment

  1. Yes, recently a companies page I followed on Facebook posted a picture that was not related in anyway to the company and was also of very bad taste. It immediately encouraged me to unlike their page.

Leave a Reply